Saturday, April 9, 2011

But the Scriptures point to me!

John 5:39-47
39 “You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me! 40 Yet you refuse to come to me to receive this life.

41 “Your approval means nothing to me, 42 because I know you don’t have God’s love within you. 43 For I have come to you in my Father’s name, and you have rejected me. Yet if others come in their own name, you gladly welcome them. 44 No wonder you can’t believe! For you gladly honor each other, but you don’t care about the honor that comes from the one who alone is God.[e]

 45 “Yet it isn’t I who will accuse you before the Father. Moses will accuse you! Yes, Moses, in whom you put your hopes. 46 If you really believed Moses, you would believe me, because he wrote about me. 47 But since you don’t believe what he wrote, how will you believe what I say?”

Whilst Jesus was on earth, He was urshering in the impending new covenant (new wine, new wineskin) in an era when people were still under the law, the old covenant (old wine, old wineskin).  [Note : The new covenant only came into effect after His death and resurrection.]

Today, the words of Jesus in this passage of Scripture [which were addressed to the Jewish leaders who blamed Jesus for breaking the Sabbath rules by healing the lame man at the pool of Bethseda] are still very much valid to those Christians  and leaders who think they are still living under the law.

With new covenant eyes, we can see the revelation of Jesus in the old covenant.  With old covenant eyes¸ when we read old testament scriptures, the only thing we  can see is what we must do to be like Moses, Elijah, Joshua etc etc. instead of seeing the shadows and types  pointing to Jesus. In fact, we are blatantly rejecting Jesus and trusting in what our effort/flesh can achieve. The new covenant reveals what were concealed in the old covenant.

If we have God's love within us (verse 42), we will not  gladly welcome other alternatives like  giving honour to man other than Jesus such as famous psychologists, or preachers on self improvement or even Moses!. (verses 43-44)

What? Moses? Yes. Jesus is greater than Moses. (Hebrews 3 :1-6).

For those who love to be under the law, hear what Jesus say in v 45-46 :

45 “Yet it isn’t I who will accuse you before the Father. Moses will accuse you! Yes, Moses, in whom you put your hopes. 46 If you really believed Moses, you would believe me, because he wrote about me. 47 But since you don’t believe what he wrote, how will you believe what I say?”

In other words, if we cannot see Jesus in the old covenant, we will not able to believe what Jesus said “It is finished”.

No comments:

Post a Comment