Friday, November 12, 2010

Onionted life

When I peel off layers of onion skins to reveal the fresh core, it reminds me that this is exactly what the Holy Spirit is doing in my christian journey.

I have been a born again christian for more than 30 years but it was only in 1993 that I was exposed to teachings of the new covenant living. Since then, I had decided to check it out for myself in case these 'new ' teachings were heretic. As I contine to dwell on the scriptures, the Holy Spirit continues to reveal gems of truth about His finished work and how I should live in freedom. It is like peeling off layers of untruths and half truths that I have accumulated over the years. The Holy Spirit also revealed that the 'anger' Jesus had against the religious pharisees was also for me. I never knew that I could be so pharisaical too.

The reason why it took me so many years to come to this point now is that the thousands of sermons I had heard based on law+grace mixture had continually to frustrate or do dis-service to me. Now I can smell the freshness of Jesus, the core essence. Now, I can boldy declare that I will not trade my freedom in the finished work of Christ for anything else.

I dare not say that I have reached the end nor am I saying I cannot be religious again, but it is a continual journey of fighting the good fight of faith in His finshed work. Religiosity is insiduous; it does not appear glaringly obvious and that is why it is easy for us to fall back without realising it. Only the Holy Spirit can bring alive His sharp two-edged sword of the Word of God to divide joints from the marrow, soul from the spirit (Hebrews 4:12), old covenant mindset from new covenant mindset and to quicken our spirit to realise that we are heading back again to religiosity.

Let the onion smells like onions; let the christians smell like christians and reflect the freshness
of the core essence, Jesus, the Light of the world. Let not the layers of religiosity smother our fragrance of Christ. Let our preaching reveals the core essence, not layered by skins of smooth and eloquent talk lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

1 Corinthians 1:17
For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Rejoice